Friday February 24
Environment Canada has issued a freezing rain warning
- Rain showers beginning this morning with a risk of patchy freezing rain through most of the day, possibly changing to freezing rain late afternoon early evening. Freezing rain or rain changing to straight rain after midnight. Intermittent showers early Saturday morning with rain developing in the afternoon.
- 2.0 mm of ice accretion is expected over a period of 10 hours Friday
- Forecasted conditions:
- A freezing rain and rain event that will persist into tonight but turn to straight rain overnight with temperatures rising to 5C Saturday morning with a High of 10C
- Temperature today: High 2C today with an overnight low 0C
- Winds becoming northeast at 20 km/h gusting to 40 km/h
Residents are advised to exercise patience and caution. Staff are monitoring weather forecasts and will be patrolling roads throughout the event.
- We are prepared to plow and salt the priority road and sidewalk network at the onset of the freezing rain event and have night shift staff scheduled for 7pm to continue plowing and salting the road and sidewalk network. Staff will also address any drainage concerns throughout the day and overnight.
- We will deploy plowing/scraping resources over the remainder of the transportation network as necessary as the weather or road conditions change.
- The afternoon commute maybe affected and we can expect wet to slushy conditions